Thursday, October 4, 2007

Why Me

So today I was picked to be scribe by I don’t who, and I don’t care all I know is that I’m not impressed because I worked ‘til 10:30 and I have lots of other homework to do on top of this. Nonetheless today we started the last section of our Waves unit on SOUND.
The whole period we worked on a lab assignment (Sounds and Their Sources) which was due today. So I guess ill just go over the questions with the answers I got, (MIND that my answers my not be all correct because I’m not “Chris Cadonic”.
F.Y.I: The scribe will be announced at the end of this scribe.



Musical Rulers
1. The ruler vibrates to produce the sound. The less amount of ruler off the edge of the table, the less vibration occurs.


2. The pitch of the sound is determined by the amount of the ruler there is hanging of the edge of the table. The more off the edge of the table, the lower the pitch.

3. The sound can be made louder or softer by the amount of pressure you use to pluck the ruler. The more pressure you add to your pluck, the louder and sound and the less pressure the softer the sound.


Sound from a Tuning Fork
1. You can turn to page 3 in our Sound booklet, if I had more time I would demonstrate my mastery skills on paint, but I don’t so too bad. Page 3 had a diagram of what your sketch should resemble


2. Striking the tuning fork harder makes the sound make louder then just striking it normal.

3. The frequency is responsible for the different sounds of the two tuning forks, because they vibrate freely; the frequency depends on the length between the pendulums. The shorter the pendulums the higher the frequency.


Sound from a Graduated Cylinder
1. The sound changes depending on the level the water is at in the cylinder. The less amount of water in the cylinder the lower the pitch gets.


2. To make the sound louder you need to blow closer to the open end of the graduated cylinder.

3. The air molecules are vibrating to produce the sound. The molecules are being compressed and stretched.
4. Our predictions were correct, as we added water while blowing the sound gradually got higher.


5. A possible explanation for the change in sound would be that there was either less or more space for the air to travel, therefore changing the sound.

So that’s all the answers to the lab we did in class today. I hope I never has to do another scribe in this class again (I did my fair share of scribes in grade 12 AP pre calculus with Mr. K).







AND THE SCRIBE IS…………………………………..






I have no idea so ill tell in class tomorrow.
It will be roxee!


No comments: